The basketball season is starting to get a little wacky here at the end. Here’s why.
• Calhoun City’s boys have emerged from a torturous non-division schedule in fine shape. The Wildcats are 5-0 in Region 1-1A and can clinch a No. 1 seed by beating Okolona on Tuesday.
• Speaking of Okolona, Jeremy Newsome has scored 75 points over his last two games. The kid’s warming up, and the Chieftains are looking good.
• Mooreville’s girls fell to Alcorn Central on Friday – no surprise – but the Lady Troopers (21-6) are doing fine without the departed Lakyn Nelson. They’re 9-5 since Nelson transferred to North Pontotoc, but they’ve won six of their last eight.
• Pine Grove and Biggersville’s girls both lost stunners on Friday: Pine Grove to Falkner, Biggersville to Wheeler. Guess 1-1A is tougher than I thought.
• Pontotoc’s boys are suddenly in control in Region 1-4A. The unranked Warriors beat No. 4 Shannon on Thursday and are now 19-8 (4-0 in region with Center Hill and Tishomingo Co. left). That Jon Ginn is some coach.
• Baldwyn’s boys, who started the season 14-0, are now 18-6. The Bearcats lost to Belmont and Kossuth (again) last week. North 2A is looking so very weak around here.