Daily Journal Players of the Week for Sept. 21 are Booneville’s Raven Combs and Baldwyn’s Xzadrian Shelley. See today’s High Schools page for more on these two.
Here’s who else was nominated for Players of the Week. You can submit nominations by noon each Tuesday via fax (842-2233) or e-mail (email@example.com).
Rob Ellis, Tupelo cross country
• Last week: Broke course record at Saltillo Invitational with a winning time of 15:49.43.
• For season: Ellis has won two of the first three races Tupelo has entered.
Richard Freelon, Bruce football
• Last week: Rushed for 242 yards, 4 TDs on 23 carries in 36-7 win over Hatley.
• For season: In three games, has gained 604 yards, scored 8 TDs for 2-1 Trojans.
Wesley Wildmon, Baldwyn football
• Last week: Was 9-for-12 for 178 yards, 2 TDs passing; had 5 carries, 56 yards, 2 TDs rushing in 54-44 win over New Albany
• For season: In three games, is 24-for-38 (63%) for 439 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs for the 3-0 Bearcats.
Jaymel Tyes, Baldwyn football
Junior, wingback/defensive back
• Last week: Rushed for 59 yards, 1 TD on 3 carries; made 3 INTs, 5 tackles.
• For season: In three games, has rushed for 156 yards, 2 TDs; has 14 tackles, 4 INTs.
• Last week: Shut out Calhoun City for three quarters in 27-8 win.
• For season: Apologies to coach Ken Byars; I’ve misplaced the stats he sent me!